City of London (click on photographs to bring up bigger/better versions).
|At the junction of Aldgate,
Leadenhall St., and Fenchurch St, this pump has a significant history.
ancient cast iron-shrouded pump on Cornhill, near the back of the Royal
Exchange, designed by architect Nathaniel Wright. It was in a terrible state of
disrepair by 2012 and we pestered the authorities to "do something" about it.
Unsurprisingly, we never heard back from them but now they've done an excellent
cosmetic repair job and it's looking very smart again. Well done - whoever was
responsible. Do please let us know who you are and we'll publicly thank you.
Thanks to John Hurst for the new photos.
Markings: Inscriptions on front and back panels, with four pictorial emblems which represent the major London fire insurance companies of the time.
|Manufacturer: The stone base is inscribed: PHILLIPS & HOPWOOD ENGINE MAKERS FECERUNT [=Built]|
|And this is what the pump looked like before restoration.|
| This one's in Staple Inn, Holborn,
London and, despite its aged appearance, is dated 1937.
Markings: "PAC", "1937" and (apparently) two depictions of woolsacks.
double-spouted pump, complete with electric lamp on the top, in Bedford Row,
just off Gray's Inn, London. The single handle is strapped
Markings: Obscured by paint, but looks like "Thompson & ...".
Manufacturer: Thompson & ...?.
|These two stone pumps flank the Brewster Memorial Gates at the north end of Cotterell Garden, New Square, Lincoln's Inn, London. They date from around 1864, and commemorate Lt. Col. William Bagenall Brewster, who was first commanding officer of the Inns of Court Rifle Volunteer Corps and Attorney General of Ireland. They and the gates were originally installed at the south end of the garden, but the pumps were soon closed for medical reasons, in 1866, at which point they probably had their handles removed. Eventually, in1908, they were all re-located to their current position. The left hand pump seems to have suffered some structural damage at some point. Thanks to Mike Woolford for the photos.|
|Markings: None on the pump columns. The gates carry a coat of
arms and the name "BREWSTER".
|This pump, at the Museum of London at London Wall in the City, is
said to date from the 1840s, although before it was removed to the museum it
was located in the grounds of an early 20th Century Samuel Lewis Dwellings
Trust housing estate in Fulham.
Markings: A panel reads ""FOWLER, DORSET ST., FLEET ST., LONDON".
|This fine old pump is secured behind padlocked gates in St. Paul's Alley, just to the North of St. Paul's Cathedral, London. It carries the inscription:|
|Markings: There is what seems to be a maker's name on the
bottom right of the cast iron casing, but it's not decipherable in my