|Click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version.|
wellhead at Adstock, Bucks. Photo supplied by Michael Burgess - thanks,
Markings: "P" in a hexagon.
Manufacturer: Trademark currently used by the German company, Puteus.
newly-restored (2013) pump at Ashendon, Bucks, and on the right what it looked
like before restoration. Thanks to Kevin Nash for the photos and a
write-up of the project.
Markings: A lion on the barrel, and "GOMMES FORGE, PRINCES RISBOROUGH" on the replacement cap.
Manufacturer: Joseph Evans.
|The last of the town pumps in Aylesbury, Bucks. Photo supplied by Russell Butcher - thanks, Russ. A commemorative plaque reads:|
FOR THE PEOPLE
THIS PLAQUE WAS ERECTED JOINTLY
BY THE AYLESBURY SOCIETY
BUCKS ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY
IN ENVIRONMENT WEEK
|Markings: None reported.
gang flywheel & crank pump, complete with air vessel, at New Inn Farm (NT),
Stowe, near Buckingham, Bucks. Thanks to Mike Woolford for the photos.
A drawing depicts an earlier pump on the
unusual model at Chilton, Bucks, complete with air vessel. Thanks to Kevin Nash
for the photos.
green at Cuddington, Bucks. Photo supplied by John Ward - thanks,
|A most unusual "village pump" at Farnham Royal, Bucks. Photo supplied by Paul Snelling - thanks, Paul. An inscribed plaque reads:|
ROYAL VILLAGE PUMP
THIS PUMP WAS PRESENTED BY ZWICKY LTD. IN 19XX. THE
PUMP WAS RENOVATED IN 1962 BY
SLOUGH TRADING ESTATE
|The pump seems to be a highly engineered and expensive industrial pump - surely unique amongst village pumps!|
|Markings: A panel on the pump reads: ZWICKY PATENT, and an
Manufacturer: Zwicky of Slough.
|Gerrards Cross, Bucks. Photo supplied by Paul Snelling - thanks, Paul. There's an inscription on the front which reads:|
|THIS PUMP WAS ERECTED BY
JOHN BRAMLEY-MOORE ESQ., M.P.
IN THE YEAR 1864 FOR THE USE OF
THE WAYFARER IN GERRARDS CROSS
Whosoever will let him take of the water of life freely
|Markings: None other visible.
|Grendon Underwood, Bucks. Photo supplied by Michael Burgess - thanks, Michael. A notice on the front reads [SIC]:|
|BE THANKFUL WHILST YOU FILL YOUR CAN
FOR GODS MOST USEFUL GIFT TO MAN
THIS WELL WAS SUNK BY
FOR THE USE OF THE PARISH
Bucks. Thanks to John Hurst for the photo.
village green at Latimer, Bucks. Thanks to Mike Woolford for the
Markings: None reported.
stage almost lost amidst rampant Leylandii in Marsh Gibbon, Bucks (thanks to
Michael for the photo, left) the pump has emerged again (thanks to John Hurst
for the update photo - right).
Markings: "Warners" "London".
Manufacturer: Warners of London.
set-up: two pumps under a lychgate at Mentmore, Bucks. The lead spouts on both
pumps show a great deal of wear - in fact they are worn right through.
Apparently the estate cottages they serve were built about 1877. Thanks to John
Hurst for the photos.
|A fully restored pump and well at North Marston, Bucks, with a surprise hydraulic pop-up feature which recalls a local legend and complete with a charity collecting box. Photos supplied by Michael Burgess - thanks, Michael. Read more about its history and renovation. A plaque on the wall behind the pump reads:|
|Markings: The wooden pump cases carries a brass plaque stating
"Unsuitable for Drinking", and there's another brass plaque higher up, which
can't be made out in the photographs. Apparently, behind the pump is a long
descriptive panel, which is reproduced at the above link.
Markings: The pump carries the name "G Ingold. B. Stortford.", and the cast iron trough "Sheen Aylesbury".
Manufacturer: Pump - Ingold's of Bishops Stortford. Trough - "Sheen of Aylesbury" mentioned elsewhere in the context of a bill dated 1847, but no further information.
|A very tall pump by the side of the road at Poyle, Bucks. Thanks to Mike Woolford for the photos. Various inscriptions read:|
| THE POYLE PUMP
ERECTED IN 1827
COLNBROOK TURNPIKE TRUST
RESTORED IN 1992.
CONTRACTOR: CDR CONSTRUCTION LTD
| THIS PUMP WAS
ERECTED BY ORDER OF
"BEAU" NASH OF BATH IN 1754.
[This inscription is contentious, and has been queried by others.]
|The Trust was responsible for the maintenance of 17 miles of the Bath Road between Cranford bridge and Maidenhead bridge. They erected several pumps along the turnpike, specifically in order to fill water tanks to lay dust. Only two such pumps remain now, one here at Poyle, and one at Longford.|
|Markings: None other reported.
Manufacturer: Elsewhere it's stated that the pumps were supplied by Fowler & Co, Lambeth.
|Quainton, Bucks.||See separate page.|
|Skirmett, Bucks.||See separate page.|
smart tiled roof in Steeple Claydon, Bucks. Photo supplied by Michael Burgess -
Markings: There's a panel on the pump, but it's not discernible in this photo.
|Two pumps in Thornborough, Bucks. The one on the left is in a rough state and has no distinctive markings or inscription. However, the one on the right carries a plaque which reads:|
THORNBOROUGH AND THORNTON
|Other Markings: None.
|By the pond at Tylers Green, Bucks. Thanks to Mike Woolford for the photos. It carries a plaque:|
|High Wycombe Parish Council
In Memory of
K. J. STEVENS
Member of the Council
1964 to 1986
|Markings: Flag and "3IN".
Manufacturer: Lee Howl.
Stable Block, Waddesdon Manor, Waddesdon, Bucks. Thanks to Mike Woolford for
Markings: None visible.
Almshouses, at Waterside, Bucks. Thanks to John Hurst for the photos. The
engraved stone plaque by the pump is difficult to decipher, but the almshouses
were founded in 1624 through a £350 bequest from Thomas Weedon of Pednor,
"to erect four almshouses for four good and godly women of the parish". The
almshouses were re-built in the late 19th Century.
Markings: None other.
|Weedon, Bucks. Thanks to John Hurst for the photo. A nearby plaque reads:|
| THIS WELL WAS RESTORED BY
THE WEEDON PARISH COUNCIL IN 1995
TO COMMEMORATE THE
HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY OF PARISH COUNCILS
|Markings: "PARRY", "3" and "BRITISH
Manufacturer: Parry - possibly Parry Pumps Ltd., of Walsall.
Lane, West Wycombe, Bucks.
|The war memorial at Wexham Street, Bucks, is built around a now-incomplete flywheel & crank pump. Photo supplied by Paul Snelling - thanks, Paul. There are two inscriptions on the shelter:|
| IN MEMORY OF
THE MEN OF
STOKE & WEXHAM
WHO FELL IN THE
GREAT WAR 1914-1918
ERECTED BY SIR BERNARD OPPENHEIMER BART.
| THIS MEMORIAL
WAS RESTORED BY
IN 1995, THE 50TH. ANNIVERSARY
OF THE END
OF THE 1939-45 WAR.
|Markings: A highly corroded nameplate features what might just
be a lion rampant.
Manufacturer: Probably Joseph Evans.
|The village pump in Wing, Bucks, has had a welcome bit of sprucing up. Thanks to John Hurst for the updated photo and the comment that the handle is clamped to the body of the pump. The inscription on the front reads:|
PRINCE OF WALES
None other reported.
Back to Directory|Back to Map|Home|