St. Peter Port (click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version).
 

St. Peter Port is a pump-hunter's paradise, with 23 pumps logged so far. Most, but not all, pumps in the town feature simple lead tanks mounted in substantial wooden casings, and carrying dates ranging 1824-2008, some of the later dates being dates of restoration. They nearly always carry the names of their benefactors or of the local Connétables/Constables, and it's good to see that most seem to have undergone a significant degree of sprucing up which relects St. Peter Port's admirable interest in its heritage. In addition to these typical St. Peter Port pumps, there are also two large and ornate cast iron pumps in the town, and one very odd rudimentary pump in a quiet residential area which carries the date 1986.

Some of the historical information below has been obtained from a 1972 study by Eric W. Sharp, "The Public Pumps of Old Guernsey", Transactions of La Société Guernesiaise.

bruce lane  Tucked away at the end of Bruce Lane, near Corbin Steps, St. Peter Port, this pump has lost both its handle and its spout. Its tank is embossed with: bruce lane
O.PRIAULX
T.W.M. DE GUERIN
1908
 The name O. Priaulx appears on the pump at La Couperderie, and R. Priaulx appears on a pump in Torteval with an earlier date. Related?
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

cambridge park Unusual pump on the corner of Cambridge Park, St. Peter Port, with a massive stone finial in the form of an acorn. It retains its handle and has a large lion's head for a spout. It carries the inscription: cambridge park
ST PIERRE-PORT.
C.VACOUR }
J.H.GUILBERT } CONS
1873
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

cambridge park rd, 2016 In a driveway off Cambridge Park Rd, St. Peter Port. It carries the inscription: cambridge park rd, 2016
W. BROCK
1832
Markings: Two sphinxes and an eagle.

Manufacturer: Unk

church sq Church Sq, St. Peter Port. The chained-down handle and dog bowl are in place, but the spout has been lost. There are two inscriptions, one on the tank and a later dated one below it: church sq church sq
ST PIERRE PORT.
JOHN. R.HARVEY.
JOHN.CARRÉ.
CONNÉTABLES.
1890.
The name John Carré also appears on the pump at La Couperderie.
W.W.WATKIN
A.H.BRICE
CONSTABLES
1933
Originally the pump was installed to supply the water needed by fish vendors in the street and was positioned close to the west door of the nearby church, but it was moved to its current location across the road following complaints of noise by the congregation.
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

clos st. jean This humble plank-mounted pump in Clos St. Jean is entirely different from anything else I've found in St. Peter Port, and the dedication might imply that it was privately-provided, rather than being a municipal one. The obviously hand-produced plaque features an embedded Guernsey coat of arms and an inscription which reads: clos st. jean
DONATED BY
Mr. & M's. C CARR
1986
There must be a story behind this!
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

college st On College St, at the bottom of Candie Rd, St. Peter Port. The handle is missing, only part of the tap remains, and a stone dog bowl which was recorded in 1972 is now lost. Its tank is embossed with: college st
JULIUS CAREY
J.B.MARQUAND
CONSTABLES
1884
It has been written that this pump replaced an earlier one which had been installed in 1770.
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

contree mansell The pump in Contree Mansell, St. Peter Port, has lost its handle and also its tap or spout (which would have exited from the left hand side of the lead tank). However, it retains its inscription, which reads: contree mansell
ST.PETER-PORT.
W.W.WATKIN.
A.H.BRICE.
CONSTABLES.
1938
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

la couperderie The pump in La Couperderie, St. Peter Port, has lost its handle but boasts two inscriptions. The upper one reads: la couperderie la couperderie
ST PIERRE PORT.
JOHN . CARRÉ.
J.A.DE GARIS.
CONNETABLES [sic]
1891.
The name John Carré appears on the pump at Church Sq, and J.A.De Garis on a pump at Mount Row.
And the lower plaque reads:
O.PRIAULX
W.D.MURDOCH
CONNECTABLES [sic]
1915
The name O. Priaulx appears on the pump in Bruce Lane and W.D.Murdoch on the pump at Le Pollet/La Plaiderie.
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

doyle rd. Pump? What pump? A very sorry sight at Doyle Rd., St. Peter Port - why has this one been left to rot, when all the others in the town have had facelifts? In 1972 it was reported to have had a brass lion's head for a spout, and a plaque with the words "A.H.Brice, C.E.Agnew, Constables, 1940". All missing now.
Markings: None.

Manufacturer: Unk

hautville Unusually, the pump at Hauteville, St. Peter Port, faces away from the road. Maybe because of this it has retained its bucket hook, along with a chained-down handle and a complete tap. Its tank reads: hautville hautville
ST PIERRE PORT.
J.N.BROUARD.
H.J.HARVEY.
CONNÉTABLES.
1893.
J.N.Brouard's name appears on other pumps in the town.
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

victor hugo house A small lift and force pump situated under the Victor Hugo House in Hauteville, St. Peter Port, which looks as if it might be in a working condition, judging by the water leakage around it. From the look of the bent-over end of the lead delivery pipe it looks as if it might once also have provided water to the floors above.
Markings: None visible from a distance.

Manufacturer: Unk

lefebvre st On Lefbvre St, St. Peter Port, near the junction with Manoir St. It has lost its spout, and the dog dish which was recorded in 1972 has also disappeared. The tank carries an inscription almost identical to one on Market St (see below): lefebvre st
ST PIERRE PORT.
J.N.BROUARD.
EDWARD VALPIED.
CONNÉTABLES.
1894.
An earlier condition of making the water source available to the public was that "none to be allowed to wash or rinse linen at the pump, dress fish or wash horses".
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

smith st  At the bottom of the steps connecting Le Marchant St and Smith St, St. Peter Port, this pump comes complete with a chained-down handle, tap and dog bowl. The tank carries the words: smith st
I HARVEY
P I AGNEW
CONNÉTABLES
1828
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

market st. The pump outside the Golden Lion in Market St, St. Peter Port, has lost its handle and part of its spout. The lead tank is embossed with practically identical wording to the one Lefebvre St: market st.
ST PIERRE PORT.
J.N.BROUARD.
EDWARD VALPIED.
CONNÉTABLÉS [sic].
1894.
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

mount durand The pump at Mount Durand, St. Peter Port, was reported in 1972 as "recently demolished" and that "panels were strewn around". However, in 2008 serious efforts were obviously made to renovate it, with the result that it and its surroundings now look very smart indeed, with even its bucket hook restored. There are two inscribed panels, the lower one reading: mount durand mount durand
A.H . BRICE
C.E . AGNEW
CONSTABLES
1940
Brice and Agnew's names appear on a pump at Mount Row, also dated 1940.
And the upper one:
ST PETER PORT
MRS.J.M.TASKER
B.J.CASH
CONSTABLES
2008
Markings: None other

Manufacturer: Unk

lower mount durand Further down the hill, on Mount Durand, St. Peter Port, an old lead pump tank has been recycled into a decorative feature on the end of a wall. It's embossed with: lower mount durand
An eagle above its nest
Two fleurs-de-lys
1824
This design is similar to ones in St. Martin and Torteval.
Markings: None other

Manufacturer: Unk

mount row Pump in good condition on Mount Row, St. Peter Port, complete with handle, tap and bucket hook. It has two plaques, the upper one embossed as follows: mount row mount row
ST PIERRE PORT.
J.A.DEGARIS.
J.N.BROUARD.
CONNÉTABLES.
1893.
And the lower one:
A.H.BRICE.
C.E.AGNEW.
CONSTABLES
1940
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

park st. park st, old photo Pump in Park St., St. Peter Port, with a chained-down handle and missing spout. The tank is embossed with: park st.
ST PIERRE PORT.
EDWARD VALPIED.
ROBERT H. PAYNE.
CONNÉTABLES.
1896.
The photograph, near leftt, is of the pump before it was renovated, and shows just what a good job the authorities have done in recent years. Photo supplied by Dave Hunt - thanks, Dave.
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

la plaiderie Set back in an alcove on Le Pollet, under La Plaiderie. The pump still has a chained-down handle, but its spout - which must originally have extended from the left hand side of the tank and not the front - is lost. The tank carries the words: la plaiderie
W.D.MURDOCH
W.MAUGER
CONSTABLES
1918
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

rohais  Well-hidden behind bushes at the junction of Rohais and Foulon Rd., St. Peter Port. The inscription reads: rohais
O.PRIAULX
W.D.MURDOCH
CONSTABLES
1908
Priaulx and Murdoch's names appear on the pump at La Couperderie.
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

rue du pre/park st. la rue du pre/parkst. An impressive cast iron pump at the junction of La Rue du Pre and Park St., St. Peter Port, surmounted by a gas-lamp bracket. Its handle is missing. rue du pre/park st. rue du pre/park st.
Markings: On the base "George Smith & Co, Sun Foundry, Glasgow".

Manufacturer: George Smith of Glasgow.

st. julian's av.  Opposite the Swan on St. Julian's Av, St. Peter Port, the pump has a chained-down handle, but has lost part of its spout. The inscription reads: st. julian's av.
H.O.LE PATOUREL.
LOUIS. C. BÉGHIN.
CONSTABLES.
1951
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

trinity sq trinity sq Another large cast iron edifice, at Trinity Sq, St. Peter Port, which also served as a gas-lamp bracket. Its handle is still in place, and it has a tap on one side, complete with bucket hook, with a lion's head spout opposite it. A panel above the spout reads: trinity sq trinity sq
ST PETER. PORT.
1876.
J.A.CAREY.
F.H.SHORTT.
CONSTABLES
The pump carries notice saying "WARNING THIS WATER SHOULD BE BOILED BEFORE DRINKING".
Markings: None other.

Manufacturer: Unk

st peter port At a private house in Fountain St., St. Peter Port. Thanks to Graeme Cox for the photos. st peter port
Markings: "J. NOEL 1874" on the lead tank.

Manufacturer: There was a J. Noel recorded working locally during this period as an ironmonger and tinworker.

castle cornet At Castle Cornet, St. Peter Port.

Markings: None.

Manufacturer: Unk.

|Back|